You want to create a practical home bar space that looks good. And, you have a great sense of style – you know what colors, lighting and material to complement your overall home décor. Yes, you may be able to create a functional and beautiful home bar space on your own.
Do I need an interior decorator to design a home bar?
It is not necessary to have an interior decorator to design a home bar. But if you have the budget, an interior decorator can help you create a cohesive design with a professional touch.
Tip: Check out resources available online, including how-to videos, and product reviews. They can provide insights into designing a home bar that meets your needs, and fits your personal style.
Six ideas for a home bar layout
Here are our six most popular home bar configurations ideas:
This layout is ideal for a corner space and is perfect for a small to medium-sized home bar.
Tip: The L-shape provides ample counter space and storage.
2. Straight Bar
This layout is a simple, classic design that can be any length. A straight bar is a good option for a narrow space or if you have limited counter space.
Tip: Consider installing a wall-height appliance on one side of your room. For example, a freestanding tall wine fridge that can hold 100 plus bottles of wine.
The U-shape configuration provides ample counter space and storage, making it a great choice for a larger home bar.
Tip: This layout is ideal for entertaining a group of people.
An island bar is a stand-alone structure that is perfect for a large home bar. It provides ample counter space and storage.
Tip: the island layout has an added bonus of being able to entertain guests from all sides.
A built-in bar is a custom solution that is integrated into the design of your home. This type of bar can be any shape or size.
Tip: the above layout can be built to match the existing cabinetry in your home for a cohesive design.
6. Wet Bar
A wet bar includes a sink, making it a great option for mixing drinks. It can be integrated into a larger home bar configuration or used as a standalone feature. Here is an example of a 14-inch by 14-inch bar sink (view on Amazon):
Tip: when shopping for a bar sink, choose an undermount unit to give you more counter space. For durability and easy of cleaning, choose a bar sink constructed of premium stainless steel.
What features to consider when designing a home bar?
When designing a home bar, here is a helpful checklist including important features to consider:
- Space: Determine the amount of space you have available for the bar and make sure it is adequate for your needs. Consider factors such as bar top height, bar stool height, and storage. Tip: allocate at least 42-inches minimum for walkway space between counters.
- Layout: Consider the flow and functionality of your bar. Tip: you’ll want to make sure there is enough counter space for mixing drinks, and that the refrigerator, sink, and storage are easily accessible.
- Lighting: Good lighting is important for a home bar. Tip: consider task lighting for the bar top, as well as ambient lighting for the surrounding area.
- Storage: Consider how you will store your wine, wine glasses, liquor, mixers and barware. Tip: Built-in shelving, bar cart, wine racks, cabinets, or beverage refrigerators can provide convenient storage solutions.
- Materials: Choose materials that are durable and easy to clean, such as granite or quartz for the bar top, and wood, stainless steel, or glass for the cabinetry.
- Style: Consider the overall style of your home and choose a bar design that complements it. You can opt for a traditional, classic style or a more modern, minimalist look.
- Appliance: Think about what bar equipment you’ll need, such as a wine cooler fridge, an under-counter beverage refrigerator and a countertop ice machine.
- Bar tools: Consider a blender, a cocktail shaker, a strainer, a small cutting board, a wine bottle opener, a beer bottle opener, paring knives and ice tongs as useful barware tools.
- Seating: Choose seating that is comfortable and fits the style of your bar. Bar stools are popular options, but you can also consider comfortable chairs or a sofa?
Here’s a freestanding bar-cart (view on Amazon) – a great way to bring flexibility to your home bar. It can be moved around, and you can bring this portable unit with you when you move.
Here’s an example of a swivel barstool (view on Amazon) – it gives you the options to adjust the height, and ability to swivel the chair.
Tip: when shopping for a bar stool, choose material that is easy to clean (waterproof is a good idea). Make sure the design matches with the look you want for your home bar.
We hope you are inspired by our six ideas for a home bar layout – they are popular options with our clients. The best one for you though – will depend on your specific needs and the available space in your home.
When you are ready to start your design of a home bar, use our feature checklist to help you organize your budget and shopping list.
With careful planning, you can create a bar that is functional, stylish, and perfect for entertaining.