We are a group of avid wine enthusiasts who have been enjoying wines from around the world for years– and we have been collecting vintages for future enjoyment for most of that time. There are many wine cellaring options, depending on your wine collection. We launched “Top 10 Wine Coolers” to help fellow wine enthusiasts have access to the many cellaring options and to share our guides and tips about storing wine and enjoying wine. Read more about Top 10 Wine Coolers’ Creators. Thanks for visiting our website…and Cheers!
Choosing the best wine cooler is really all about choosing the best cellaring options for your specific needs. When we choose our top 10 wine cooler candidates, we consider a number of criteria including capacity (100-bottle, 36-bottle, 12-bottle, etc.), model type (freestanding, built-in, under-counter, countertop, etc.), the number of temperature-zones (single-zone, dual-zone, multi-zone), type of refrigeration system (compressor or thermoelectric), budget, styling and useful features such as adjustable shelving, lock, LED light, etc.. Ultimately, the purpose of a wine cooler is to preserve your wines while allowing them to bloom. Here we provide our review of the top rated wine cooler brands on the market today. The table below of our top 10 wine coolers and our review of each selected wine cooler will provide the guidance and information you need to make the best decision for you. We have chosen to review the best wine coolers in a range of capacities and types to ensure that you will find best wine cooler recommendations that meet your needs. At the end of this page, please refer to our wine cooler buying guide for a complete selection check list to aid you with your buying decision.
Here are our top 10 wine coolers picks on the market right now:
1. EdgeStar CWR1661SZDUAL 332 Bottle Side-by-Side Wine Cellar
- Save money by purchasing two of Edgestar's popular wine cooler CWR1661SZ; Dimensions for EACH unit: 69.5" H x 23.438" W x 26.75" D
- Digital temperature controls w/ LED display; Temperature: 40-65 degrees F; Tinted glass door
- Slide-out, wood-trimmed wire shelves; Auto defrost; Replaceable built-in carbon filter; Security lock
- NOTE: Units ship separately and both will arrive right hinged. You may follow the instructions in the included manual to reverse the door...
Model: EdgeStar CWR1661SZDUAL 332 Bottle Side-by-Side Wine Cellar
Type: Free-standing or built-in.
Dimension: (per unit) 69.5″ H x 23 7/16″ W x 26.75″ D, or 69.5″ H x 46.875″ W x 26.75″ D for the double unit described here.
Summary: The EdgeStar 332 Bottle built-in or side-by-side Wine Cellar (View on Amazon) is both stylish and quite functional for those with larger wine collections. It is certain to impress your guests. Its great set of features are sure to impress you and your guests. It has the flexibility to be a free standing or a built in wine cooler with large capacity and dual zones. This EdgeStar wine cooler has a very quiet compressor and it features easily changeable carbon filters to remove any unwelcome odors, UV blocking glass, and easy-to-use digital touch controls. This large-capacity wine cooler has a 1-year parts and labor warranty. It also receives outstanding reviews from customers, who give excellent reviews for the sleek styling, functionality, and quiet operation. The EdgeStar is a winning choice for a large-capacity wine cooler, and certainly has our seal of approval as a top rated larger capacity wine cooler. Read our detailed wine cooler review for EdgeStar CWR1661SZDUAL 332 Bottle Side-by-Side.
2. Allavino FlexCount 172-bottle VSWR172-2BWRN (right hinge)/Allavino FlexCount 172-bottle VSWR172-2SSLN (left hinge)
- 172 BOTTLE CAPACITY: This Allavino VSWR172-2BWRN wine cooler has 12 shelves that can hold up to 11 bottles each and 2 shelves that can hold...
- DUAL ZONE TEMPERATURE CONTROL: This wine refrigerator's dual zone design allows you to store both red and white wine simultaneously. You can...
- INNOVATIVE NEW SHELF DESIGN: Get the most out of your space with Allavino's new FlexCount shelving, which is not only thin enough to...
- TRADITIONAL STYLE MEETS MODERN TECHNOLOGY: The sleek black cabinet with matching framed glass door and sophisticated all-black interior...
Model: Allavino FlexCount 172-bottle VSWR172-2BWRN (right hinge)/Allavino FlexCount 172-bottle VSWR172-2SSLN (left hinge) wine fridge.
Type: Free-standing or built-in.
Dimension: 71.5″ H x 23.5″ W x 27″
Summary: The Allavino VSWR172-2BWRN 172-bottle (right hinge)(View on Amazon) or the The Allavino VSWR172-2SSLN (left hinge)(View on Amazon) is a sleek-and-sophisticated dual-zone wine fridge. It is a large capacity wine fridge that accommodates 172 bottles and it has a security lock. The Allavino VSWR172-2BWRN has a front-venting design – you can install it as a built-in to your cabinetry or as a stylish free-standing unit. We are a fan of Allavino’s FlexCount shelving design series, including this 172-bottles, the 128-bottles, the 56-bottles and the 36-bottles models. The Allavino VSWR172-2BWRN has 14 innovative FlexCount shelves and sturdy metal racks. This model features dual zone that allows individual temperature control in the upper and lower zone respectively. The upper zone can be set between 40°-55° F. The lower zone can be set between 55°-65°F. This Allavino has elegant black cabinet with matching framed glass door and all-black interior. Read our detailed wine cooler review for Allavino FlexCount 172-bottle VSWR172-2BWRN (right hinge) or Allavino FlexCount 172-bottle VSWR172-2SSLN (left hinge).
3. Vinotemp VNTVT-155SBW 155-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler
- Reversible door swing allows you two install two side by side
- Digital controller with blue LED readout
- Dynamic / Silent Mode
- Pull-out beech wood shelves
Model: Vinotemp VNTVT-155SBW 155-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler
Type: Free-standing or built-in.
Dimension: 23 1/2″ W x 26 1/2″ D x 70″ H, Depth including handle: 28 2/5″
Summary: This Vinotemp VNTVT-155SBW 155-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler (View on Amazon)provides a great solution for storing moderate to larger size wine collections. This Vinotemp offers flexibility to be used either as a free standing wine cooler or built in wine refrigerator. It features dual zones and a quiet compressor. Two of these wine coolers can be combined with opposing doors to provide a wine cooler with a 310 bottle capacity (and 4 independent temperature zones!). This large capacity wine cooler has a 1 year labor and 4 years parts warranty. Vinotemp is a U.S. based highly respected manufacturer of wine cabinets and wine coolers since 1985. The Vinotemp 155 is one of their great choices for a large-capacity wine cooler. Read our detailed wine cooler review for Vinotemp VNTVT-155SBW 155-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cooler.
4. Vinotemp VNTVT-140RV-2ZL 154-Bottle Dual-Zone Left Hinge Freestanding Wine Cooler
- 154-Bottle Dual-Zone Freestanding Wine Cooler (Left Hinge)
- Freestanding installation only
- Dual-pane glass door with recessed handle
- Two independent temperature zones for red and white wines
Model: Vinotemp VNTVT-140RV-2ZL 154-Bottle Dual-Zone Left Hinge Freestanding Wine Cooler
Dimension: 23.43” W, 68.38” H, 27.16” D
Summary: This Vinotemp VNTVT-140RV-2ZL 154-Bottle left hinge dual zone Wine Cooler (View on Amazon)is another excellent solution for moderate to larger wine collections using a freestanding wine cooler. Like other Vinotemp wine cellars, this features a quiet compressor; this wine refrigerator also has dual zones. Like several other Vinotemp wine coolers, two of these 154 bottle wine coolers can be combined with opposing doors to provide a 308 bottle capacity (and 4 independent temperature zones!). This large-capacity wine cooler has optional warranties lasting from 1 to 3 years. The Vinotemp 140 is a great choice in the freestanding large-capacity wine cooler category, and it may be paired to double storage capacity. These units are handmade in the USA. Vinotemp is a long-established company with over 30 years’ experience providing superior wine storage, cooling, and refrigeration products. Read our detailed wine cooler review for Vinotemp VNTVT-140RV-2ZL 154-Bottle.
5. NewAir AWR-1160DB gold series 116-bottle Wine Cellar
- 116 Bottle Capacity: The robust 116 bottle storage is perfect for red and white wines.
- Cooling System: The premier dual zone compressor cooler allows you to set separate temperature controls for the upper zone, which can be...
- Digital Display: Quickly monitor and set temperatures with ease using the push button controls just inside the door.
- Interior LED Lighting: Premium gold LED lighting and dimming options are provided to allow you to better control how your collection is...
Model: NewAir AWR-1160DB 116-bottle Premier Gold Series Wine Cellar
Type: Free-standing or built-in compressor-system
Temperature Zone: Dual-zone cooling
Dimension: 23.5″ L x 26.8″ W x 56” H
Summary: This beautiful NewAir AWR-1160DB 116-bottle premier gold series wine cellar (View on Amazon)is our top pick for 116 bottles capacity wine cellar. It has many premium features for a high-quality 116-bottle wine cellar such as premium cold-rolled steel cabinet with three layers of insulation, smoke-tinted triple layer glass door, smooth gliding shelving, elegant gold LED light and the 1-year in home warranty. You can install this unit as free-standing wine cellar or as a built-in to your cabinetry. It has a reversible door – a convenient design feature to set it up to open to left or right to fit your design configuration. This NewAir AWR-1160DB is a dual-zone wine cellar, top zone can be set from 40°- 50°F and bottom zone from 50°- 60°F. This range of temperature cooling feature gives you options to store various vintages such as Beaujolais, Chablis, Champagne, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir and Sauternes, etc. You can switch between Celsius and Fahrenheit. The premium NewAir AWR-1160DB has both the form and functions that live up to the name of ‘gold series’ and it justifies the price tag of an ounce of gold. Read our detailed wine cellar review for NewAir AWR-1160DB 116-bottle premier gold series.
6. Allavino FlexCount 56-bottle VSWR56-2SSRN (right hinge) or Allavino 56-bottle VSWR56-1SSLN (left hinge)
- 56 BOTTLE CAPACITY: The Allavino VSWR56-2SSRN utilizes specially designed FlexCount shelves to store more bottle types than any other wine...
- DUAL ZONE DIGITAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Store both red and white wines in this dual zone unit, which features "red", "white", and "sparkling"...
- INNOVATIVE NEW SHELF DESIGN: Allavino's revolutionary new FlexCount shelving features sturdy metal racks that are strong enough to support...
- POWERFUL COOLING TECHNOLOGY: Allavino FlexCount Series wine refrigerators combine sophisticated elegance with cutting-edge technology to...
Model: Allavino FlexCount 56-bottle VSWR56-2SSRN (right hinge) or Allavino 56-bottle VSWR56-1SSLN (left hinge) wine fridge.
Type: Free-standing or built-in.
Dimension: 33.9″H x 23.4″W x 23.6″D
Summary: The Allavino FlexCount 56-bottle VSWR56-2SSRN (right hinge) (View on Amazon) or the Allavino VSWR56-1SSLN (left hinge) (view on Amazon) is our top pick for 56- bottles dual-zone wine cooler. It has a front-venting design that works well as a built-in your cabinetry or as free-standing unit. This model is about 25% more energy efficient than most compressor-based wine fridges in its class. We find this model has minimum temperature fluctuation and low noise and vibration. This model is in the Allavino’s FlexCount shelving design series – the shelves are thin and flexible to accommodate larger diameter bottles without sacrificing overall storage capacity. It has six shelves – five shelves that can fit up to 9 bottles each and a bottom shelf that can fit up to 11 bottles for a total of 56 bottles. This Allavino dual zone unit features “red”, “white”, and “sparkling” indicator lights. You can adjust each zone’s temperature separately – an upper zone range between 41°-61°F and a lower zone range between 45°-64°F. It has an intuitive control panel. You can control the interior blue LED lighting via the easy-to-use control panel. This Allavino model includes both curved and towel bar handles – you have more options to integrate this unit with your design elements. Read our detailed wine cooler review for Allavino FlexCount 56-bottle VSWR56-2SSRN (right hinge) or Allavino 56-bottle VSWR56-1SSLN (left hinge).
7. Allavino FlexCount 36-bottle VSWR36-2BWFN French door wine cooler
- 36 BOTTLE CAPACITY: This beautiful French door wine refrigerator has 12 shelves that can each hold up to 3 bottles, allowing you to store a...
- DUAL ZONE DIGITAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Each of this unit's dual temperature zones has it's own intuitively designed control panel with a...
- INNOVATIVE NEW SHELF DESIGN: Allavino's FlexCount Series features a cutting edge metal shelf design that is strong enough to support the...
- POWERFUL COOLING TECHNOLOGY: This wine refrigerator utilizes cutting-edge technology to deliver powerful and efficient cooling performance....
Model: Allavino FlexCount 36-bottle VSWR36-2BWFN wine cooler with French Doors
Type: Free-standing or built-in or under-counter.
Dimension: 23.2”L x 23.5”W x 32.8 “H
Summary: The Allavino FlexCount 36-bottle VSWR36-2BWFN wine cooler with French Doors (view on Amazon) is our top pick for the most beautiful 36 bottles capacity dual zone wine cooler. It can accommodate 36 bottles in a compact 24″ wide space. This model has classic black cabinet and gorgeous black framed glass French doors. It is beautiful as a free-standing unit with its fully-finished front venting cabinet, or as a built-in or under-counter to fit your cabinetry design element. This unit is in the Allavino’s FlexCount shelving design series – the shelves are thin and flexible to accommodate larger diameter bottles without sacrificing overall storage capacity. This Allavino has dual zone, each zone is individually controlled and it ranges between 40°-60° F. It can accommodates 18 bottles on each side/each zone. It features an intuitive design control panel, cool blue LED interior lighting that you can turn on or off and a security lock. Read our detailed wine cooler review for Allavino FlexCount 36-bottle VSWR36-2BWFN French door wine cooler.
Comparable model: EdgeStar CWR361FD 36-bottle built-in Wine Cooler
- Capacity: 36 standard 750 mL wine bottles; Built-in or freestanding installation
- French door layout w/ black dot matrix tempered glass; Black cabinet and stainless steel trim doors
- Door lock on each door; Large matching stainless steel handles; Dimensions: 34 1/8" H x 23 1/2" W x 24 3/8" D; Dimensions (Without Handle):...
- 10 full depth, slide-out stainless steel-trimmed wood shelves; Two (2) partial depth slide-out stainless steel-trimmed wood shelves
If you prefer the look of stainless steel to black trim for your wine cooler cabinet, you may find the EdgeStar CWR361FD 36 bottle Dual Zone with French Doors more appealing to you than the Allavino FlexCount VSWR36 French door model. The EdgeStar is beautiful as a free-standing unit installation. Or, you can install it as an under-counter or a built-in to fit your cabinetry design element. It comes with a set of stainless steel towel bar style handles.
8. AKDY 32-bottle Single Zone Thermoelectric wine cooler
Model: AKDY 32-bottle Single Zone Thermoelectric wine cooler
Type: Free-standing only (rear vented)
Dimension: 20.67″ W x 20.27″ L x 32.28″ H
Summary: The AKDY 32-bottle Single Zone Thermoelectric wine cooler (view on Amazon) is a high quality but modestly priced wine cooler that provides multiple high-end features in under the counter and countertop wine coolers. For the wine connoisseur who requires the best wine cooler in this size and capacity range, look no further! You will appreciate the vibration-free, silent, and low cost operation that results from a thermoelectric cooling system, which is featured in most of AKDY’s wine refrigerator products. This stylish AKDY 32-bottle freestanding wine cooler features advanced, easy-to-read touch-screen controls. Like other AKDY products, this wine cooler’s styling is outstanding. It complements your home while it cools and protects your wines. Read our detailed wine cooler review for AKDY 32-bottle Single Zone Thermoelectric wine cooler.
9. AKDY 21 bottle WC0021 dual zone thermoelectric wine cooler
- External Dimension(in): 13.5"W x 20"L x 32.25"H
- Internal Dimension(in): 11"W x 13"L x 28.25"H
- Upper zone: 44°F - 66°F, 6 bottles; Lower zone: 44°F - 66°F, 15 bottles
- 7 removable shelves capacity up to 21 bottles
Model: AKDY 21 bottle WC0021 thermoelectric wine cooler
Type: Free-standing only
Dimension: 13.38″W x 20.27″L x 32.28″H
Summary: The AKDY 21 bottle WC0021 thermoelectric wine cooler (view on Amazon) is another high quality, moderately priced wine cooler with outstanding styling. Like most AKDY wine refrigerator products, this unit uses thermoelectric cooling to provide quiet, vibration free and energy efficient operation. Integrated, user friendly touch controls help you maintain optimal cooling. So long as its capacity is sufficient for your needs, you will appreciate the small size of the wine cooler. Read our detailed wine cooler review for AKDY WC0021 21 bottle dual zone thermoelectric wine cooler.
10. Koldfront 18 Bottle thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- DOES NOT SHIP TO CALIFORNIA for CEC compliance reasons; Please do not place an order shipping to CA; Any orders placed shipping to CA will...
- For freestanding installation only, not meant for built-in use; Lower zone: 54-64° F; 12 bottles; Upper zone: 45-54° F; 6 bottles;
- Vibration free thermoelectric cooling; Soft LED interior lighting; Even temperature distribution
- Includes 4 chrome racks; Electronic controls & digital temperature display; Dimensions: 26 1/4" H x 13 5/8" W x 19 3/8" D
Model: Koldfront 18 Bottle thermoelectric Wine Cooler
Type: Free-standing only
Dimension: 25.33″ H x 14″ W x 22.25″ D
Summary: The Koldfront 18 Bottle thermoelectric Wine Cooler (view on Amazon) is an outstanding product that is moderately sized and unusually value packed for its size. Dual zone compact wine coolers are somewhat unusual; this is a key feature of this counter-top wine cooler. Its compact size allows placement in a variety of places. You get many features you’d expect to find in larger and more expensive coolers in a conveniently-sized wine refrigerator. So long as its capacity is sufficient for your needs, you will appreciate the small size of the wine cooler and the vibration-free silence and energy efficient operation that comes from a thermoelectric cooling system. Attractive LED lighting both lights and displays your collection. Don’t miss this outstanding choice of a smaller wine cooler. Internal fan-forced circulation guarantees even temperature distribution, ensuring all of your wine is kept at your desired storage temperature. Read our detailed wine cooler review for Koldfront 18 Bottle thermoelectric Wine Cooler.
Wine Cooler Buying Guide
This buying guide provides you with the information and tools you need to make a wise choice of a wine cooler from those recommended here. You should keep in mind the words of George R. R. Martin in The Mystery Knight—“Wine makes all things possible”, and our wine cooler buying guide makes buying a wine cooler not only possible but easy and rewarding.
There are several factors that may prove important in your selection of a wine cooler. Wine coolers come in several major categories among which you must choose.
- Type. There are several types of wine coolers. A wine cooler may be freestanding, may fit under a counter (or sit on top of the counter), or be built-in.
– Freestanding. Perhaps you prefer freestanding wine coolers (those meant to sit on your counter, under your counter, or on the floor in some appropriate room). Since freestanding wine coolers may be viewable from all sides, the design and finish are important considerations. Some freestanding wine coolers may also be built-in.
– Built-in wine coolers are those that are intended to be permanently built into your cabinetry. These wine coolers are typically only viewed from the front, and are often not stylistically finished on the other sides of the appliance. It’s important to know that not all wine coolers can be built in; the direction of venting and cooling requirements may preclude building in some wine coolers.
– Finally, of course, there are wine coolers or wine storage rooms that become structurally part of your house or business. While these can be fun, discussion of those is beyond the scope of this website. A friend in Geneva, Switzerland, where bomb shelters are required in all new construction, had converted his bomb shelter into a very elegant wine cellar and tasting room. He had the advantage of knowing that, in the worst case, he would enjoy his days in the bomb shelter.
- Capacity. obviously you want your wine cooler to be large enough to store your collection of wines. Wine coolers can vary in size from 6 to 300+ bottles capacity. If you are a serious collector and have room, you may want a capacity of several hundred bottles of wine. If you live in an Airstream trailer, an eight bottle cooler may be all you can fit.
– How large a space do you have available for your wine cooler? Height, depth, width and weight are important. Do you want the door to open to the right or left? Measure the space in which you plan to house your cooler; make sure there is adequate room for ventilation. If you are installing a built-in, you want to allow two inches on all sides and the top.
– Where will the cooler will be placed? Do you want it to fit on a countertop? Do you want it to slide under an existing countertop or table? Or do you want a wine cooler that occupies a more substantial space with concomitantly larger capacity?
- Zones. Do you want a single zone or dual zone wine cooler? The zones refer to temperature zones. Typically wine coolers maintain a significantly warmer temperature than conventional refrigerators, but they may maintain a single temperature throughout (called single zone), or they may have two different areas with two different temperatures (called dual zone). Often collectors prefer that different types of wines be stored at different temperatures for proper bouquet and preservation.
- Cooling systems. Wine coolers use two kinds of cooling technologies; most use a compressor (like a home refrigerator), while others use Thermoelectric cooling. Each cooling type has advantages and disadvantages. A compressor will easily cool your wines and is a well-tested and reliable technology. The downside is that compressor wine coolers tend to be a bit noisier and to have a bit of vibration. Thermoelectric wine coolers are generally quieter and with no vibration but they may not cool as efficiently. Thermoelectric wine coolers use the Peltier effect to create a heat pump between two plates. This effect can be effectively used to refrigerate a wine cooler, but the effectiveness of it depends on external temperature, so it is somewhat limited in its capacity to rapidly cool large wine collections or to operate in high ambient temperatures.
- Styling. Often a key choice factor for a wine cooler is the styling of that cooler. Do you want stainless steel? Do you want smoked glass? Do you want cool LED lighting to show off your collection? Do you want touch controls? Do you want single or double doors? Do you want French doors? Style is mostly a matter of personal taste but may be important in fitting with other aspects of your décor.
– Interface. Like many appliances these days, wine coolers may have interfaces that range from very simple (a dial to rotate to set temperature, for example) to more functional and more complex (including touchscreens). Some wine coolers place the user controls inside the cooler itself while others have a separate external panel. Consider whether you would strongly prefer one style or the other. Again this is mostly a matter of personal taste and the functionality you want to have in your wine cooler.
– A lock. Having a lock is important to many wine cooler purchasers. It’s a good feature to prevent unwanted guests or children from accessing your vintage collection.
– Shelving. Shelving can be an important usability consideration. There are metal, wood, and wood trimmed metal shelves available. Look for shelves that slide and that are adjustable or removable to accommodate unusual bottle sizes.
– Carbon filters. Some wine coolers incorporate changeable carbon filters to control odor. If this is important to you, make sure the filter can be readily changed.
- Budget. Most of our top-picks fall into similar price ranges based on capacity. Just be aware that larger capacity generally implies higher price.
Best-Value Wine Coolers:
- Our top pick for large capacity of 300+ bottles is the EdgeStar 332 Bottle built-in or free-standing side-by-side Wine Cellar (View on Amazon). This model provides two independent units with its own temperature zone environment. Check out our review of the EdgeStar 332-bottle model.
- Our top pick for the 100+ bottle capacity is the NewAir 116-bottles gold series wine Cooler(View on Amazon). This beautiful free-standing or built-in, dual zone model has the best removable and smooth gliding shelving, and gold LED interior light. Read our review of the NewAir 1160DB Premier Gold Series.
- Our top pick for the 36-bottles is the classic beauty of Allavino FlexCount 36-bottle French door wine cooler (view on Amazon) . We like its black-framed glass French doors and black cabinet, and the flexible shelving that accommodates larger diameter bottles. Check out our review of Allavino FlexCount 36-bottle French door model.
The very best wine cooler for you may not be the same as the best wine cooler for your friend. Being an astute shopper, you can use our best top 10 wine cooler reviews to understand which best fits your needs. Enjoy your wines, your friends, and drink a toast to us from the very best wine cooler from our top 10 recommended list.