An under-counter wine cooler is an elegant and a functional appliance to configure into your kitchen, dining room or home bar. This type of built-in has the proper cooling technology to preserve your vintage collection. It is esthetically pleasing and space efficient.
We won’t beat around the bush here. A quality mid-size (24-inch wide, 45-bottle) undercounter wine fridge is around $1000. This type of built-in installation is expensive. Let us help you navigate through the hundreds of wine fridge options, find you a perfect match and not waste your money.
Note : We are not just wine collectors – among our evaluation team members are interior designers. We will include design tips for wine fridge styles best suited for condo, townhouses and larger homes in our comprehensive buying guide for under counter wine fridges .
Will an undercounter wine cooler be big enough to house your wine collection?
First thing first – yes, size matters in the case of a built-in under counter wine fridge. Will this size be big enough to preserve your valuable vintages? The answer depends on the size of your wine collection.
- If you plan to store between 18 bottles to 56 bottles, an under counter wine fridge is for you.
- If you are looking for a mini wine fridge for a smaller collection (6-12 bottles), check out our top picks for compact and sleek countertop wine coolers.
- If you are investing in a large collection (100+ bottles), check out our top selection of the large capacity 100-199 bottle wine refrigerators.
What size is an under counter wine fridge?
The storage capacity for an undercounter wine cooler is largely determined by its width (30-inch, 24-inch, 18-inch, 15-inch, 12-inch, and 6-inch). Why? Because the height in a standard undercounter wine fridge is always below 34 inches, and the depth (without handle) is always 22-23 inches.
Examples – various sizes and capacities by width:
- 30-inch wine cooler: 56-62 bottles; or 33-35 bottles and 90-96 cans.
- 24-inch wine cooler: 36-56 bottles; or 20-21 bottles and 64-78 cans.
- 18-inch wine cooler: 28 bottles.
- 15-inch wine cooler: 26-30 bottles.
- 12-inch wine cooler: 18 bottles.
- 6-inch wine cooler: 7 bottles.
- Size of a bottle: we use the standard Bordeaux-size 750 ml. in our example. The bottle dimension is 11.8″ tall x 2.75″ diameter (widest part of the bottle)
- Size of a can: we use the standard 12 oz. soda can in our example.
Here are our top choices for the best undercounter built-in wine coolers:
If you have read thus far, you know there is no one size fits all. Start with the capacity of wine cooler you desire, make sure the dimensions are compatible with your under counter space.
Our top picks here are selected based on our best sellers, durability and value, and beautiful styling in each capacity. We also included high ($2000), medium ($1000) to affordable ($500) price point – see budget $$$$ symbol in each collection.
Comparison table: 30-inch vs. 24-inch vs. 15-inch vs. 12-inch vs. 6-inch undercounter wine fridge
1. Best Seller Kalamera 46-bottle built-in wine cooler
- ★SEAMLESS STAINLESS STEEL DOOR & AIR OUTLET: Special stainless steel frame with 2 layers of tempered glass...
- ★TEMPERATURE MEMORY FUNCTION & 5 WOODEN SHELVES: The small wine cooler restore the set temperature in the...
- ★46 BOTTLE CAPACITY: This mini wine fridge holds up to 46 bottles of your favorite wine in different size,...
- ★DUAL ZONE THERMOSTAT: LED control display makes it easy to set temperature upper zone ranges from 40-50°F,...
Brand and width: Kalamera 24-inch 46-Bottle wine cooler
Type: Free-standing or built-in or under-counter installation.
Temperature Zone: Dual-zone cooling using compressor technology: 40°-50°F (upper zone), 50°-66°F (lower zone)
Dimension: 33 “H x 23.4 “W x 22.4″D (without handle); 33 “H x 23.4 “W x 24.4″D (with handle)
Suggested built-in dimension: 23.8″ W x 22.4″D x 34.3”H
Summary: If a winner is decided by how units we sell every month, this Kalamera 24-inch takes the crown.
You’ve guessed it, this Kalamera earns our vote for the best-overall undercounter wine cooler. Besides being our best seller, it’s an excellent quality unit – a record three years in a row with zero customer return. When evaluating dollars for features, it is a top-ranked model under $1000.
This Kalamera is the best quaffable wine fridge – it’s easy to love, pleasant to use.
It has five durable beech wood racks, beautiful seamless stainless steel frame, an easy-to-use LCD digital control, and a reversible door.
The most impressive functions (not visible to the naked eyes) are: triple-layer tempered glass door, and temperature memory function. Read our review for Kalamera 24-inch-wide 46-bottle wine cooler.
2. Most Premium Zephyr Presrv™ 24-inch wine and beverage cooler
- 3-Color LED Lighting in Cloud White, Deep Blue and Amber. 304-grade Stainless Steel
- Active Cooling Technology. Bottle Capacity: 21 bottles, 64 12oz cans. Carbon Filter Air Filtration
- Door Open Alarm. Dual-Pane, Low-e Argon-Filled Glass. Electronic Capacitive Touch Controls
- Temperature Range: 38° - 65° F (beverage side). Temperature Range: 40° – 65° F (wine side). Vibration...
Brand and width: Zephyr Presrv™ 24-inch wine and beverage combo.
Installation Type: under-counter or free-standing.
Cooling System: Individual controlled dual zone by compressor cooling.
Weight: 143 pounds.
Noise level: 38 dBA (one of quietest models in the market).
Summary: This luxurious Zephyr is the best money can buy. It is also our editor’s choice – why?
Because – It has the most complete set of wine preservation features – including door alarm, Sabbath mode, on-board computer controlled active cooling technology, and vibration dampening system.
This French-door unit is the most beautiful dual-zone appliance in the 24-inch category, from a designer’s perspective.
It has six black-wood racks to store 21 Bordeaux-size wine bottles, and three transparent-gray glass shelves to store 64 cans of beer or soda.
Among all the premium mid-size wine and beverage refrigerators on the market, it is one of the quietest at 38 dBA. And, it also has the most accurate temperature retention. Read our review for Zephyr Presrv™ 24-inch wine and beverage cooler.
3. Best Value for Money Phiestina dual-zone wine and beer refrigerator
- LARGE INTERNAL SPACE CAPACITY: This Phiestina wine and beverage refrigerator has a total of 13 removable...
- TWO STORAGE ZONE, TWO INDEPENDENT SENSITIVE TEMPERATURE CONTROL with pretty blue light displays: This built-in...
- ENERGY-SAVING & QUIET OPERATION: Our dual zone wine cooler is quiet when working, so you can enjoy your happy...
- AUTO DEFROSTING FUNCTION: Our beverage Refrigerator cooler is also designed with an additional temperature...
Brand and width: Phiestina 24-inch wine and beverage fridge
Installation Type: Built-in, under-cabinet, stand-alone
Temperature Zone: Two separately controlled zones – left 40-66°F, right 38-50°F
Dimension: 33.9″ H x 23.4″ W x 22.4″ D (without handle)
Summary: This Phiestina is one of the best-value wine and beverage coolers in the 24-inch category. It has painted wire shelves to accommodate 20 bottles (left) and 78 cans (right). It’s known to maintain a consistent humidity rating of 60%-70% – which is quite remarkable at this price point. Read our review for Phiestina 24-inch wine and beverage fridge.
4. Best 12-inch Colzer 18-bottle wine cooler
- 🍷【 For Long-term Aging or Quickly Drinking】Based on the temperature and humidity of the original wine...
- 🍷【 Adjustable & Removable Shelves for 18 Bottles】This compact wine fridge can house up to 30...
- 🍷【Protective Your Wine Design】An upgraded compressor with a unique vibration absorption system and...
- 🍷【 Easy to Use Daily】Compact wine fridge design with one touch digital control that easy to operate,...
Brand and width: COLZER elegant 12-inch wine fridge.
Installation Type: Built-in for undercounter 12-inch wide and below 36-inch tall.
Dimension: 11.61” W x 22.62” D x 34.25” H
Capacity and size: 2.11 cu. ft. to accommodate 18 bottles.
Temperature Zone: 41°F to 78°F, powered by a compressor cooling.
Noise level: 32 dBA (one of quietest models on the market).
Summary: Hailed from Villeurbanne, France, COLZER has been a leading company in the appliances sector in Europe and here in the US since 2015. This 12-inch model is a great example of their high-quality products, FCC certified and ETL listed.
This near silent COLZER is ranked best in the compact 12-inch under counter category. Why? Just check out its impressive form and functions – packed in a 12-inch wide unit:
This model has all-black exterior, stainless steel frame and wooden shelves. This is a front-vent unit designed for built-in. Its pleasing aesthetics also make it suitable for free-standing installation.
It has a modern grey-glass door made of UV-blocking three-layer tempered glass. This is a no frost unit with a built-in carbon filter to absorb odor, and an interior fan to circulate the air flow.
- Premium compressor with the quietest sound level of 32dBA , and energy saving.
- Six removable and adjustable wooden shelves to store 18 bottles.
- Wide temperature range of 41°F to 78°F – giving you options to store red or white vintages.
- Easy to use control panel – simple icons to increase or decrease temperature, light control, safety lock and power on and off.
- Door lock – two keys are included.
5. Most Slender NewAir 7-bottle undercounter wine cooler
- BUILT-IN INSTALLATION- The quiet, front-venting compressor system allows this wine fridge to fit snugly under...
- SLIM FIT DESIGN - At only 6 inches wide, this wine fridge barely takes up any space in your kitchen while...
- PRECISION TEMPERATURE CONTROL - Adjust temperatures with the easy touch digital display. A reliable and...
- REMOVABLE BEECH WOOD SHELVES - This fridge comes with beech wood shelves that can be easily removed, making it...
Brand and width: NewAir NWC007SS00 6-inch 7-bottle wine cooler.
Installation Type: Slender-fit under-counter.
Temperature Zone: Single-zone 41°- 65° F.
Dimension: 34.2 “H x 5.8 “W x 20.6″ D (without handle); 34.2 “H x 5.8 “W x 22.6″ D (with handle).
Summary: This NewAir 7-bottle is a primary example of an upscale narrow fridge with enduring quality. It will integrate seamlessly into a tight-space under cabinet.
- Stainless steel door frame and full-length stainless steel door handle.
- Double-pane UV protected glass door.
- 7 removable beech wood shelving racks.
- Easy to use digital touch control panel – to manage temperature range 41°- 65° F.
- Reversible door – you have the option to install the door to open to the left or right.
6. Most Durable EdgeStar 30-Inch Built-In Wine and Beverage Cooler
- Dual Zone Operation: Whether you prefer a glass of wine or can of beer with dinner with dinner, this EdgeStar...
- Temperature Range: The left cooling zone offers a temperature range of 40-65°F while the right cooling zone...
- Powerful & Efficient: In order to maintain your desired climate settings, this unit’s high-efficiency...
- Convenient Installation: No matter where you choose to install this wine and beverage cooler, its...
Brand and width: EdgeStar CWB2886FD 30-Inch built-In or under-counter Wine and Beverage Cooler
Type: This front-venting compressor cooling design is ideal for under counter built in, flush-mount and freestanding applications.
Temperature Zone: Dual-zone cooling – 40-65°F (left), 38-50°F (right).
Dimension: 34.13″ H x 29.5″ W x 25.38″ D
We have featured EdgeStar appliances in our design projects more than a decade now. This 30-inch French-door fridge is a great example of their high-efficiency compressor-powered coolers. It has an industrial vibe with its contemporary-style door handles, and linear edges.
- It’s a dual zone designed to store wines on the left compartment, and beers or beverage on the right.
- This long-lasting unit has a capacity of 30 bottles and 80 cans.
- Temperature memory function – it will save your previously set temperature when is a power outage, and it will restore the saved setting when power is restored.
- Convenient temperature adjustment – a digital control panel is located above each cooling zone.
- Two factory-installed locks – one at the bottom on the left, the other on the right.
7. Best Classic Styling N’FINITY PRO HDX 30-inch wide wine and beverage center.
- STYLISH HOME BAR - Professional quality and stylish design. The N'FINITY PRO HDX Wine and Beverage Center by...
- DUAL INDEPENDENT COOLING ZONES - Stores up to 35 standard Bordeaux wine bottles and 90 cans of beer or soda....
- DIGITAL TOUCHSCREEN CONTROLS - Easily adjust the temperature without having to open the door. Set each side...
- 25% LESS ENERGY USAGE - The ETL certified energy efficient compressor uses 25% less energy than its...
Brand and width: N’FINITY PRO HDX by Wine Enthusiast 30-inch wide 35-bottle and 90-can beverage center
Installation Type: Freestanding, under-counter built-in
Temperature Zone: Two individually-controlled temperature compartments powered by a compressor cooling system. The electronic-touch control panel is located on the top of the left door.
Temperature Range: Left: 45-64℉, Right: 34-43℉
Dimension: 33.5″ H x 30.25 ″W x 22.2″D (without handle); 33.5 ″H x 30.25 ″W x 23.87″D (with handle)
Suggested built-in dimension: 34″ H x 31.25″ W x 24.25″D
Notable features: This 30-inch beverage cooler has two side-by-side sections. These French doors are not reversible.
- The rack material is made of coated steel wire. The front trim of the shelving is wood – same as the non-voc (volatile organic compounds) natural wood used in indoor furniture.
- The left compartment is designed to store 35-bottle of wines. The collection is visible via a dual-pane glass door. It has elegant seamless stainless steel trim. There are six rolling shelves and 1 fixed shelf.
- The right section is designated to keep 90-can of soda, beers or beverages. It has a solid stainless-steel covered door (like a refrigerator door). There are three shelves (two sliding and one fixed).
- Tip: Check the location of your power outlet. The power cord for this unit in located on the left side, rear bottom. The cord length is 72 inches.
Summary: A classic will never go out of style. This N’FINITY PRO HDX is a quintessential appliance to store 35-bottle of wine and 90-can of beverages now, and for years to come. This unit is relatively quiet at 40 decibels. It comes with a standard warranty of 3 years on the sealed components and a 1 year labor.
5. Best 15-inch Antarctic Star 28-bottle dual-zone wine cooler
- 28 BOTTLE CAPACITY:This wine cooler could hold 28 bottles of your favorite wine in different size, there is...
- Metal SHELVES:Frost-Free Stainless Steel Door and Handle with Double Layered Tempered Glass Window and...
- QUIET & LOW VIBRATION:Advanced cooling system, low vibration effect and noise, allowing your wine to age and...
- DOUBLE-LAYER GLASS DOOR:The double-paned tempered glass window offers protection from harmful UV rays while...
Brand and width: Antarctic Star 15-inch wide 28-bottle wine cooler
Type: Built-in under-counter or free-standing unit
Temperature Zone: Dual-zone cooling
Dimension: 14.9” W x 34.2” H x 22.8” D (without handle)
Summary: It’s a rarity to find a seamless stainless-steel wine cooler moderately priced at around $500. This Antarctic Star is indeed the best-budget for a 15-inch built-in. Check out these high-end features wrapped in an affordable unit:
- Seamless and stylish stainless steel door frame
- Double-pane tempered glass door
- Dual-zone with a wide temperature range 41°F to 68°F
- Beautiful soft blue interior light
- Integrated safety lock
- Adjustable feet for a flash mount fit
9. Most Innovative Design Allavino FlexCount 56-bottle built-in wine cooler
- The lower zone must be set at least 4 degrees and no more than 12 degrees higher than the upper zone
Brand and width: Allavino FlexCount 24-inch-wide 56-bottle dual-zone VSWR56-2SSRN (right hinge) or VSWR56-2SSLN (left hinge)
Installation Type: Free standing or under-counter.
Temperature Zone: Upper zone: 41°F – 61°F, lower zone: 45°F – 64°F.
Dimension: 33.9″ H x 23.4″ W x 23.6″ D (without handle)
Summary: This versatile Allavino has consistently made it to our top 10 most popular wine fridge list year after year. Here’re the reasons why:
It is cleverly-designed with the innovative FlexCount shelf – it can house both standard and bigger size (diameters) wine bottles without removing the racks.
Check out this flexible shelving configuration: it can hold nine bottles on each of the top five racks, and the bottom shelf can accommodate eleven bottles. You get an impressive 56-bottles in a standard 24-inch wide wine cooler.
Energy saving: this Allavino is 25% more energy efficient when comparing to wine cooling appliances in its class.
10. Best Commercial Summit Appliance 18-inch commercial wine cellar
This Summit appliance is commercial compliant, i.e. ETL and NSF-7 certified here in US, and ETL-C for Canadian Electrical Safety use. Budget: $$$$
- Chill white and sparkling wine while preserving red in two distinct temperature zones
- Less than 18" wide for a perfect fit in smaller kitchen and wet bar spaces
- Flexible design allows built-in or freestanding use under counters
- Digital thermostat offers precise and convenient temperature control
Brand: Summit Appliance SWC182Z 18-inch wine fridge.
Installation Type: Free-standing, under-counter.
Dimension: 17.75″ W x 23.5″ D x 34.25″ H
Depth with door at opened at 90°: 39.75″ L
Capacity: 3.3 cu. feet, 28-bottle standard size 750 ml bottle.
Temperature Zone: Dual-zone 41°F to 64°F, powered by a compressor system.
Weight: 95 lbs.
This commercial grade Summit Appliance has a stainless-steel frame and door handle. It’s classically finished in an all-black cabinet including a black kick-plate. The sturdy racks can accommodate 28-bottles via four wooden shelves.
This front-venting cellar allows flexibility to install it as a built-in or stand-alone.
This 28-bottle dual-zone has a temperature range 41°F to 64°F in each zone, suitable to store red, white and sparkling wines.
This lockable unit has a factory-installed lock with two keys. It has an easy-to-use digital control panel to manage temperature and interior light.
- This unit has a high side PSI 150, and low side PSI 50.
- This unit uses refrigerant type R600a, and refrigerant amount 1.23 oz.
A comprehensive buying guide for the best undercounter wine fridge for your space:
Buying a wine appliance is a big purchase. You want to know what to look for before spending your thousands of dollars.
Budget – Plan to spend around $2000 for a quality 30-inch wine and beverage refrigerator, $1000 for 24-inch wine cooler, $700 for a 15-inch unit and $500 for a 12-inch wine fridge.
We are sharing with you a comprehensive buying guide and check list that we use to evaluate the right built-in wine refrigerators for our clients. We believe this list will help you as well – to assess your requirements, and find the design and features best match your needs.
- Size. You decide how many bottles in your wine collection, consider capacity in terms of 18 bottles, 30 bottles, 40 bottles or 56 bottles.
- Which room to house your cooler? Think beyond your kitchen. Consider the buffet or sideboard in your dining room, or a home bar in your billiard room.
- Check the dimension of your installation space.
- Measure the width, height and depth of the under-counter space where you want to house your unit. The width of a standard wine fridge is either 30-inch, 24-inch, 18-inch, 15-inch or 6-inch wide.
- Most under-counter units are designed for 36-inch tall counter.
- There are two measurements for the depth: without a door handle, and with a door handle. For example: a unit can have a measurement of 22.4” deep without a door handle, and 24.4” deep with a door handle.
- Make sure your wine fridge is below 34 1/2 inches tall. Why? Because the standard counter height in US is 36 inches. And, there is always an allowance of 1 1/2 inches recessed space allocated for the toe-kick. So, any of these wine fridge heights will work well – 34.4″, 34.13″, 33.9″, 33.5″, 33″, 32.75″.
- Make sure your wine fridge is less than 24 inches deep without handle. Any of these depths (before you install the handle) will work well – 22.2″, 22.4″, 22.5″. After you install the handle, the depth can be 24.2”, 24.25”, up to 25.4”.
- Here are examples for the standard dimensions for various built-in wine appliances:
- 30-inch wide: 33.9“ H x 29.5″ W x 22.4″ D (without door handle) – best size and style for a larger home.
- 24-inch wide: 33.9″ H x 23.4″ W x 22.4″ D (without door handle) – this is the most popular style for most home owners.
- 15-inch wide: 33.9″ H x 14.9″ W x 22.4″ D (without door handle) – this size looks best in a town house.
- 12-inch wide: 33.9″ H x 11.6″ W x 22.4″ D (without door handle) – this dimension best fit in a condo space.
- If you would like a step-by-step measurement guide, check out our “instructions on how to measure a wine cooler”.
- Single zone or dual zones. If you collect both red and white wines, you want to choose a dual-zone. If you are primarily a red or a white wine lover, you might prefer a single zone. In general, red wine stores within a range of 50-65° F; white within a range of 40-50° F.
- Consider a wine and beverage combo. If you are both a wine and beer drinker, then a wine and beverage combo refrigerator is a better choice. Consider a unit with two separate zones. One zone for your wine collection, another zone designed to store your beer at 38° F.
- If you are using it for long-term storage, a 55℉ is all you need.
- If you are hosting gala events often, and you like to serve sparkling wines and full-bodied reds, then you need a wider temperature range. 50℉ is needed for your champagne, and 65℉ is for your full-bodied red.
- Check the control panel – is it easy to manage the temperature setting? What is the sound decibel – you want to look for a quiet model below 40 dBA. Does it have a built-in carbon filter to absorb unwanted odor? Does it have an internal fans to circulate the air flow? A vibration dampening system that minimizes disturbance to the sediments in your wine.
- Color, material and texture matter from a design and theme perspectives. Consider: stainless steel or black exterior; wooden or wire racks; blue, white or gold interior lighting; recessed door handle or bar handle; single door or French doors.
Can you put a freestanding wine cooler undercounter?
No. Please do not install a freestanding-only wine cooler undercounter – because a stand-alone-only unit has a rear-vent design which is not suitable for built-in installation. An undercounter wine cooler must have a front-vent design.
Is it worth having a wine fridge?
We consume over 4 billion plus bottles of wine in the United States last year. There are about 200 million people over 21 year-old. Let’s do a quick math here: there’s about 20 bottles per grown-up annually. We are a nation who enjoys wine. And, having a wine cooler to store your vintage collection is a smart solution to preserve your wine and investment. In our opinion, it is absolutely worth it to own a wine fridge.
What are the benefits of an under counter wine cooler?
An under counter wine fridge is really all about “Form and Function” – to borrow a famous quote from famed architect, Frank Lloyd Wright. The advantages of under-counter wine cooler are:
- Beautiful to look at – especially when your wine collection is illuminated.
- Functional – You are storing your wine collection in proper temperatures and, you have easy access to them.
- Space efficiency – it is designed to fit under counter and you have flexibility of various width.
Tip: If your current space is more suitable for a free-standing installation, but you plan to install the same unit as an under-cabinet in the future, then choose a unit with a front-vent and it’s fully finished on all exterior sides. Why? So you have some flexibilities in installation options in years to come.
Which is the quietest undercounter wine cooler on the market?
The most quiet wine coolers are: Allavino FlexCount series, Zephyr Presrv series, and COLZER. These high-end brands have near silent sound level 32 – 38 decibels. They also have integrated vibration dampening system to further minimize the noise.
How many cooling zones do I need for an under-counter wine cooler:
- In general, two zones gives you more flexibility to store more varietals, especially if you collect both red and white wines.
- If you are using the unit for long-term storage, a single zone works – by setting it to 55° F for preserve your reds and whites.
- If you want to store both wine and beverage such as beer, then a dual-zone wine and beverage combo is the answer – you can keep your beer at a lower temperature such as 38° F. And, you only open the side you need and keep the other side closed – to retain constant temperature.
What cooling system is used in an under-counter wine cooler?
An under counter wine fridge always uses a compressor as its cooling system. And, the unit must have a front vent, not a rear vent.
Remember though – what is the best for our client or your friend may not be the best for you. So, pour yourself a glass of wine, enjoy it in the potential installation area. Now, check out the appliances in the space, consider the size of your wine collection, what ambience and vibe you are going for. Take your time to pick the cooler that best fits your sense of style.
We are confident you will find the ONE. And, you will enjoy having it for years to come. Cheers!