We all appreciate how a bottle of wine gets better with age. When we think about its aging process, a natural cork stopper has certainly played an important role to bring such enjoyment to our lives. So, what can you do with leftover wine corks? Well, they can be your keepsake, décor and wine-themed craft projects among the many ideas.
Let’s first pay respect to the what, who and when regarding the history of this incredible cork, shall we?
What are natural wine corks made of?
Natural cork stoppers are made from the bark of cork oak trees.
You find these special oaks grow in southwestern Europe such as Portugal and Spain, and northwestern Africa such as Tunisia and western Sahara.
A cork oak is a remarkable tree. It actually grows back after its outer bark is harvested. This tree typically lives about 200 years.
A wine cork is naturally moisture-resistant and it expands to form tight seal for the bottle. That’s why it is an integral component of an expensive bottle of wine.
Who invented the wine cork and when?
No one knows the definitive answer to exactly who and when, as I understand the history of wine corks.
Well, I recalled the folklore from my great Grandma Diane. She gave the invention credit to the Benedictine monk Dom Perignon (1638-1715). Diane’s choice of champagne, introduced in 1921, is named after him.
I also recalled reading it in Shakespeare’s pastoral comedy As you like it (circa 1599) where the heroine Rosalind say, “I pray thee take thy cork out of thy mouth”.
Hmm. Corks for thoughts, right?
Our favorite wine cork holders
We have incorporated several wine cork inspired furniture and personalized novelty in our design projects through the years. Some are whimsical wine themed décor. Some are display frames. Some are functional objects in a room. Here are our favorites wine cork storage ideas sorted by capacity:
1. Barrel Cork Catcher Side Table
- NOVELTY WINE BARREL SIDE TABLE - Add a fun "pop" of flavor into a home bar or room in your...
- STORES UP TO 2,000 CORKS - Remember great times with family and friends each time you add...
- CHALK UP YOUR THOUGHTS - Add your own personal stamp to this piece thanks to the nostalgic...
- IDEAL GIFT FOR ANY WINE LOVER - Makes a great personalized gift for your favorite wine...
Model: Wine Barrel Cork Catcher Side Table by Wine Enthusiast.
Dimension of barrel: 27.5” tall by 22.75” diameter.
Material: Metal finished in black color.
This novelty cork holder has a large capacity of 2000 wine corks. Note: This cork side table does not include wine corks.
This side table has a nostalgic chalk board-plaque in the center of the barrel.
Let your creativity takes you – words to welcome your guests? Or cheers to you and your family?
This metal side table is an eye-catching furniture and a cork catcher – all in one.
Red or white wine corks typically are under an inch in diameter, ranging from 0.94″ to 0.98 inch. The length classically goes from 1.6” to 1.7” to 1.9”. Whereas a sparkling wine cork (which resemble a mushroom shape) is generally 1.2 inch in diameter and a longer length of 2.0 inch.
So depending on the types of wine corks, the storage capacity may be less than 2000 corks.
2. Wine Barrel Cork holder accent table
- VINTAGE DESIGN FITS MOST ROOMS: This beautifully handcrafted cork holder is made of sturdy...
- DOUBLES AS AN ACCENT TABLE: This versatile and stylish cork holder is uniquely sized to...
- A GREAT GIFT FOR WINE ENTHUSIASTS: This multi-use cork holder makes for an ideal gift for...
- A BARREL OF FUN THAT'S EASY TO USE: Access to the cork storage area is simple and easy,...
Model: Wine Barrel Cork holder accent table by Home-X.
Dimension of barrel: 20” tall by 16” diameter.
Material: Body in sturdy metal finished in black color; hinged wooden top.
This vintage-looking cork container can house about 400 wine corks.
It features an easy-to-open wooden top.
It has a chalk board-plaque in the center of the cage.
How about writing a personalized happy birthday to surprise a visiting friend? Or, feeling creative – let’s have fun with some chalk board art.
3. DIY Wine Cork Board Frame Kit
- MAHOGANY WOOD - Decorative and beautiful, the DIY Wine Cork Board Frame Kit by Wine...
- DIY WINE CORKBOARD - Create your own bulletin board out of used wine corks. A great way to...
- PERSONALIZE YOUR CORKBOARD - Half the fun is in deciding how to artfully arrange your...
- IDEAL GIFT FOR ANY WINE LOVER - Makes a great personalized gift for your favorite wine...
Model: DIY Wine Cork Board Frame Kit by Wine Enthusiast.
Dimension: 22” W x 22” Long .
Material: Mahogany wood.
Design: A square wooden frame suitable to create a cork-filled bulletin board.
Talking about recycling your wine corks and preserving your memory – this DIY bulletin board is the answer. This square frame has a capacity of 256 wine corks.
You will have fun creating a free form design using your wine corks. Yes, your display patterns are only limited by your creativity.
4. Decorative barrel cage cork holder
- LARGE CAPACITY (220 CORKS) – Measuring 11"H x 8"W, this wine cork holder cage holds...
- RUSTIC BARREL DESIGN – In a world full of dull cork holders, discover a barrel vino cork...
- KITCHEN DÉCOR – Whether placed on the kitchen worktop or table, this wine cork...
- STAINLESS-STEEL CONSTRUCTION – Meticulously-crafted from bronzed stainless-steel, this...
Model: Decorative barrel cage cork holder.
Dimension: 11” tall by 7.75” diameter.
Material: Stainless steel finished in bronzed brown color; open top.
This rustic-looking cork holder has a capacity of 220 wine corks.
This decorative cage is both an attractive accessory and a cork container. It has an open top – yes, you can easily toss in a wine cork after you uncork a bottle.
5. 14-inch wine cork basket
- Metal mesh cork storage with a matte black powder-coat finish and the word "WINE"...
- Perfect for holding special occasion and keepsake wine corks, or for storing every time...
- Designed with multiple holes in the back for easily inserting Wine and Champaign corks
- Ideal gift for the wine connoisseur or decoration in your own kitchen
Model: 14-inch wine cork basket by My Gift Store.
Dimension: 14” W x 5.7” H x 4.5” Deep.
Material: Metal with a matte black finish.
Design: A decorative holder with the word “WINE” on the front facing of the basket.
This basket has a relatively small foot print – it takes up an area of 14 inch by 5 inch. If you like, you can house this item on on your tabletop.
It has several convenient 1.1 inch-diameter round-cork-entry slots. You can also slide the lid open – to remove or add a handful of corks if you like.
This basket is a fun wine themed gift.
6. Peacock Cork Caddy
- Our Picnic Plus whimsical Peacock Caddy is great for collecting and saving your wine...
- Dimensions: 10"w x 4"d x 16"h / 3 lb
- Color: Peacock / Model: PSA-650PK
- By Picnic Plus. Whether its Spring romance or a Summer beach and patio, Fall tailgating or...
Model: Peacock Cork Caddy by Picnic Plus.
Dimension: 10” W x 16” H x 4” D.
Material: Durable steel.
Weight: 4 lbs.
Design: In the form of a Peacock with a beautiful patina.
This whimsical Peacock brings smiles to everyone who comes to greet her! This caddy has a capacity of 45 corks. The neck is removable – so you can have easy access to the main body of cork storage.
Yes, it has an oval-shape chalk board plate on the side – so you can customize any words or chalk art you fancy.
7. Wine Cork and Beer Cap Holder Shadow Box
- DISPLAY wine corks & beer bottle caps in style with our shadow box frame! Cork holder fits...
- PERFECT HIS & HER GIFT for weddings, birthdays, retirement, Christmas, holidays,...
- BEAUTIFUL STAINED WOOD with front artwork in white reads "Wine a Little, Laugh a Lot", &...
- CORK & CAP HOLDER shadowbox is the perfect decoration for any kitchen, living or dining...
Model: Wine Cork and Beer Cap Holder Shadow Box.
Dimension: 11” W x 13” H x 2.5” D.
Material: Stained wood frame with glass front.
Design: Shadow Box with artwork in white on the clear glass.
We have many friends who are fans of both wine and beer. And, this shadow box always brings cheers to every one of them. This cork and cap holder has a capacity of 60 wine corks and 300 beer caps.
There are two options to install this shadow box: either free-standing or wall-mount.
This rustic box has a beautiful stained wood frame. The design artwork on the glass is fun. On the left front, “Wine a Little, Laugh a Lot”. On the right, “it’s No Coincidence That Beer Rhymes with Cheer”.
Giant Champagne Cork Stool
Model: Giant Champagne Cork Stool.
Dimension: 18.1” H x 13.4” diameter top.
Material: Solid Portuguese compressed cork.
Design: A giant replica of a champagne cork.
I know this is not a cork holder. But we want to give a shout-out to this giant “champagne cork” stool!
Why? Our client loves this giant cork after we incorporated it in her game room.
It weighs less than 25 lbs. And, we tested it to support a 6-foot 225 lbs. person just fine.
It’s a whimsical wine cork furniture, and it is certainly a conversation piece as well!
There you have it – our top seven wine cork holders plus one giant champagne cork chair! This has been so fun! Before I sign-off, let me share with you my own story of wine corks:
My first recollection of a wine cork, to be precise (as I was told by my great Grandma Diane), it was a Dom Perignon champagne cork at Diane’s estate. I was five.
I saw her writing the date and initials of her dinner guests on that Champagne cork. She then deposited the signed cork into this seemingly-giant (especially to me then as a child) corks-filled crystal vase.
A couple of years later, I asked permission to measure it – it’s 26.8 inches tall. That magnificent crystal vase now resides at Grandpa Jack’s summer home in Long Island.
You guessed it – I am a wine cork collector just like my great Grandma Diane. And, I too keep my wine corks in a vase. No, mine is not a Baccarat vase like Great Grandma’s. It is a miniature interpreted version of her beautiful crystal cork holder.
And, I will always remember what Great Grandma said:
I will never disagree with my Great Grandma. I just want to add: you can store your wine corks in any keepsake vessels as you see fit . What matters – is the memory of the good time you shared with your friends after you uncorked your bottle of wine.